Abbeys and Art in the Apennines
This tour begins with a leisurely olive oil tasting at an organic farm in the charming town of Anghiari before arriving in the historic market town of Sansepolcro, birthplace of the Renaissance artist Piero della Francesca. We cross from Tuscany to Umbria in the Apennine mountains with beautiful views of both regions. We follow evocative pilgrim trails, once trodden by St Francis of Assisi, to remote churches and a dramatic fortress. We walk along pretty woodland paths and enjoy an exclusive guided tour of a 13th century Benedictine monastery. Our accommodation includes a beautifully restored abbey and the tour finishes with three nights in the heart of the lovely town of Gubbio.
The walking holiday starts and ends in Florence, the cradle of the Renaissance. There are daily flights from the UK and other European cities to Florence airport and the city is on a main train line from Milan and Rome. You can also request to join the tour in Arezzo which is on the train line from Rome. For more ideas see our City Guides.
"I spent over 20 years as a business consultant helping large and small clients perform better but I didn’t come across many small businesses as well run as yours. All the hotels, meals and wine were first class – some special indeed – which tells me that we, on the receiving end, have benefited from your insightful and extensive research. Bravo Zulu!" Gordon Ramsay
Cost: €2,625 per person
Single supplement: €200
Our tours are genuinely all-inclusive - learn more about what we offer.
- 7 nights’ accommodation in 3 delightful hotels
- Two experienced and knowledgeable guides to look after your every need and bring this stunning area to life
- All meals including wine
- Gourmet picnic lunches each day and snacks en route
- Dinner in a variety of superb restaurants
- Museum visits and wine/food tastings as per itinerary
- Support vehicle, enabling you to walk as little or as much of the trail as you please
- Transport to/from Florence in air-conditioned minibus
- Comprehensive pre-trip information
- Luggage transported for you so all you need to carry is a small backpack
- Outstanding hiking in lesser-known corners of Tuscany and Umbria
- Lunch at an organic olive oil farm
- See world-famous Piero della Francesca painting
Terrain: Hilly terrain, most walking on dirt roads and woodland tracks. Challenging (optional) final walk on mountain trails
Shortest/Longest Day: 6km/3.8miles:18km/11.3miles
Some of our tours are more challenging than others, so see how we grade our hikes to make sure you choose the right one for you.
Palazzo Magi: 4-star Renaissance palace in centre of Sansepolcro
Abbazia San Faustino: Luxurious country hotel with swimming pool converted from a 13th century abbey
Relais Ducale: 4-star hotel in heart of Gubbio. Formerly the Ducal Palace