Slovenia and Friuli
Lakes and Mountains, Waterfalls and Wine
Slovenia, often referred to as "The Sunny Side of the Alps", is a tiny, beautiful, green country on Italy's north eastern border. After meeting in its capital city we travel to tranquil Lake Bohinj and hike in the stunning Julian Alps. We visit Kobarid on the dazzling turquoise Soca river, a town of great significance during World War 1 and immortalised by Ernest Hemingway in his novel "A Farewell to Arms." Today it is the culinary capital of Slovenia and we dine in two of its finest restaurants. We make the border crossing between Slovenia and Italy on foot to arrive in the Italian region of Friuli, where we explore the excellent vineyards of the Collio hills and the Unesco World Heritage sites of Cividale and Aquileia.
This tour starts in Ljubljana and finishes in Venice. Why not consider extending your walking holiday in Slovenia and Italy by spending more time there or travelling to Milan, Turin, Trieste or Florence? For more ideas on where to go visit our City Guide page. Read the diary of a Hedonistic Hiker on this tour in 2014.
"I really enjoyed the 9 days I spent with you, Isabelle and the rest of the group. As I had no idea what to expect and did not know anyone I had been a little apprehensive. But everyone was so friendly and welcoming I enjoyed every moment of the trip from meeting you all in Ljubljana to saying goodbye in Venice." Gina Dark
Cost: €2,825 per person
Single supplement: €200
Our tours are genuinely all-inclusive - learn more about what we offer.
- 8 nights accommodation in three hotels (3 and 4 star)
- 2 experienced and knowledgeable guides to look after your every need and bring this stunning area to life
- All meals including excellent local wines
- Gourmet picnics each day with snacks en route
- Dinner in a variety of superb restaurants
- Support vehicle, so you can walk as much or as little of the trail as you please
- Transport in air conditioned minibus
- Comprehensive pre-trip information
- Museum visits and tastings as per the itinerary
- Crystal clear lakes and turquoise rivers
- Climb Mount Matajur to cross Italian-Slovene border on foot
- Walk to the Franja Partisan Hospital in the Pasica Gorge
Terrain: Farm tracks and mountain trails. Ascend/descend 300-400m on most days, with an 800m ascent on Day 6. The mountain trails are rocky in places with short sections of exposed terrain on Day 3
Shortest/Longest Day: 6.5km/4.1miles: 10.5km/6.6miles
Some of our tours are more challenging than others, so see how we grade our hikes to make sure you choose the right one for you.
Hotel Jezero: Comfortable lakeside hotel with wonderful views of Lake Bohinj
Hotel Hvala: Family run hotel with outstanding restaurant in Kobarid (Caporetto)
Grand Hotel Entourage: Four-star hotel in historical centre of Gorizia located in a former palace